11.21.2008

The Power of Mommy

I realized today just how much influence I have on my children. I know they both talk like me, use the same catch phrases, intonation, etc. I'm with them practically all the time, so they are bound to pick up some of my habits and idiosyncracies and imitate them. However, I was alerted to how even silent behaviors can be passed on with nary a thought.

I've always sorted my M&Ms by color before eating. Then I proceed to eat them color group by color group, starting with the group which has the fewest number and progressing upward. I don't know why, I just do. It's hardly even a conscious choice whether to sort or not....I just sort. I so rarely eat M&Ms I hadn't even thought of this in years. Today after lunch, I suggested to K that we have a little something sweet. The Halloween chocolate is hanging out in the fridge, begging to be eaten, so we both decide to have M&Ms. I start mine immediately, but she's still finishing her lunch, so her fun size bag has to wait.

I finish my M&Ms without a word, enjoying the sweet joy of candy-coated chocolate. K asks me to open her bag. I do and she pours them out on the table. Without a second thought, she starts sorting them....by color, and then, when she's finished sorting asks me which group is the smallest. I answer "blue" and she eats the blue. She again asks which group is the smallest. I suggest she try to figure it out, so she counts. "Red," she says, and eats them. This continues until the last M&M is gone.

Whether it is some sort of genetic quirk that she would have "inherited" this behavior or some sign of the non-stop "together time" we share, I came to have a greater understanding of the true power and influence there is in being a mommy. Of course we don't want our children repeating foul language or talking negatively about someone. Of course we want them to behave properly at all times (or at least when they are in public!). But do we comprehend the full scope of the influence we as parents have on our children? Do we react with too much anger? Do we shower them with enough hugs and kisses? Do we set the example by which we want them to live in every day-to-day interaction? It is an awesome responsibility, and one I hope I am reminded of every day.

1 comment:

Mimi said...

How do the kids eat twizzlers? You should introduce them to the best way of making your Coke taste like cherries.